THREE BEAN CHILI
Warm up your winter with a hearty bowl of Three Bean Chili, packed with flavorful ingredients and a protein punch. This comforting dish is perfect for cold days and can be prepared in advance for a satisfying meal any time. Plus, it's freezer-friendly!
- 1 lb. ground beef (93% lean)
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly slivered
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 28 oz. cans petite cut tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 15 oz. cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz. can light red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Serving Size: 1
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 1590
- Total Fat: 63.1g (97% Daily Value)
- Saturated Fat: 15.5g (77%)
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Sodium: 1607mg (66%)
- Total Carbohydrate: 82.7g (27%)
- Dietary Fiber: 26.6g (106%)
- Sugars: 16.25g
- Protein: 173.9g
- Brown the Meat: In a large pot, heat one tablespoon of canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and ground turkey. Break up the meat chunks with the back of a spoon and cook until browned. Stir in one tablespoon of chili powder and mix well. Drain off excess fat and remove the meat from the pot.
- Sauté the Aromatics: In the same pot, add another tablespoon of canola oil. Add the chopped onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until they become translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the green pepper and jalapeno and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Combine Ingredients: Return the browned meat to the pot. Add the tomato paste, one teaspoon of ground cumin, and another tablespoon of chili powder. Mix well to combine. Pour in the two cans of petite diced tomatoes, add one teaspoon of salt, bay leaves, and all the beans.
- Simmer: Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the chili simmer for 30-45 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. If you prefer a spicier chili, add more chili powder to taste.
- This Three Bean Chili is the perfect comfort food for cold winter days. It's high in protein thanks to the use of lean meats and beans.
- If you find yourself with extra chili, don't worry; it freezes well for future meals. Simply store it in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Customize your chili with toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, or a sprinkle of cilantro for added flavor and texture. Enjoy!