Who doesn't love a creamy, cold, and oh-so-delicious scoop of ice cream on a hot Summer day? This frozen treat has captured hearts and taste buds worldwide for centuries, and believe it or not, its story begins in the annals of history. From ancient Persia's fruit and saffron-infused snow delicacies, to the Tang Dynasty's milk-based frozen wonders in China, where only the elite could afford it, people have been savoring icy delights long before modern ice cream parlors dotted the streets.
Today, we embark on a frozen journey that combines the rich tapestry of history with the brilliance of nutrition. Presenting the Blueberry-Almond Superfood Ice Cream—a delightful and refreshing recipe designed to support eye health and help combat macular degeneration. Bursting with the goodness of frozen blueberries, the wholesome creaminess of almond milk and yogurt, and the nutty crunch of raw almonds, this frozen treat is more than just a dessert—it's a journey into the world of healthful indulgence!
Blueberry-Almond Superfood Ice Cream
- 2 cups frozen blueberries (rich in anthocyanins and antioxidants)
- 1 ripe banana (a good source of potassium and vitamins)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (high in vitamin E)
- ½ cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup raw almonds (source of vitamin E and healthy fats)
- 2 tablespoons Honey (optional, for sweetness)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (for flavor)
- A pinch of ground cinnamon (anti-inflammatory properties)
- A pinch of sea salt (for flavor balance)
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, add the frozen blueberries, ripe banana, almond milk, yogurt and raw almonds.
- Blend the ingredients until you achieve a smooth and creamy texture. If needed, you can add a little more almond milk for easier blending.
- Add the honey (if using), pure vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Blend again until everything is well combined.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the sweetness or flavor as desired. Keep in mind that freezing can slightly dull the sweetness, so you may want to make it slightly sweeter than you prefer at room temperature.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into a container suitable for freezing, and cover it securely with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Place the container in the freezer and let it set for at least 4-6 hours or until the ice cream is firm.
- Once the ice cream is ready, scoop it into a bowl, top with fresh blueberries (and maybe a few more almonds) and enjoy this delicious and eye-healthy treat!
Pro Tip: Instead of one container, prepare single serving containers to freeze and then microwave them as needed at 10 seconds a go until soft enough to eat.
Remember that this ice cream treat is primarily intended to provide additional nutrients that support eye health due to the inclusion of blueberries, almonds, and other nutritious ingredients. It should be part of a balanced and varied diet, rich in a variety of fruits, vegetables, and other nutrients to help promote overall health and combat macular degeneration.